Wednesday, June 21, 2006

'Sub'

I've always had a liking for Subway Sandwiches, and I used to have one after my gym session on Sundays. But alas it has been ages since I had one, truly miss it. So I decided to make my own 'Sub'.

I still had half of the amount of biga(italian for pre-ferment) in my freezer, left from my ciabatta making. I knew that there is a recipe for Italian Bread in Peter Reinhart's book, just nice to finish up my biga. Hence I made a small boule and a short batard with this recipe.

A look at the interior of the boule

As with most 'lean' breads, due to the lack of /small amounts of fats, these breads become stale very quickly. So I would usually freeze them, which keeps them fresh and is convenient whenever my bread craving kicks in. Here's my breakfast Peppered Turkey Sub for this morning, quite sumptious right? ;p

8 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yes! Yes! Sumptious indeed! Yum!

Oh when you said you put the bread in the freezer, then what happen when you want to eat it? How to defroze bread? *sorry supid question I know, but I'm clueless, blush*

Unknown said...

Ching,

No such thing as stupid question. Be glad to answer :)
I cut my bread into portions before freezing. Then I leave it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight coz I usually take bread in the morning. If you want to eat, say a few hours later, just leave them at room temp. Just remember to thaw them covered, so the bread doesn't dry out :)

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. Angie, your homemade Subway bread look simple delicious and fantastic...... I used to love Subway bread during my stay in Aussi.. it's really very declious esp with beetroots....lolz....

Anonymous said...

Angie, it's really like the subway sandwiches. Very nice crust too.

You leaving for yr overseas posting soon?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it's me, artchoo6

Unknown said...

Ellena, thanks :)

Jolene, I'm glad it looks like a subway sanwich *lol*

Leaving tonight, not overseas posting lah, just two weeks working trip :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
thanks for the tip of freezing biga. I ususally don't freeze at this stage (simply no one tell me)... so I used to freeze the main dough.
Wonderful texture your bread! You're going to starve my eyes these two weeks...

Unknown said...

Gattina, I also won't know if not for the book ;p. Thanks so much for your kind words for my breads, always encouraging :)

I will also be starved of your wonderful cooking : (
Can I pack you in my luggage? *lol*