Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Char Char Char

After all that pork dishes from the last post, I don't wish to bore you. But can I just show two more dishes with pork as the ingredients?

I made this char siew using a recipe from one of the members in KC. This recipe actually calls for grilling the char siew. Coincidentally, I found a recipe for 'Shanghainese Wok Fried Char Siew' in one of my recipe books. So I combined these two and got this.


I found that by preparing the char siew this way, it is not as dry as grilling directly. Also saves me from switching on the oven just for grilling.

After preparing the char siew, I turned them into these pastries.

I used a recipe for 'Siew Pau' from Kuali. However, the skin turned out to be more flaky like 'Char Siew Soh'. It has been a long time since I had Siew Pau, so I cannot remember how the skin is supposed to be like. But anyway, these pastries turned out to be flaky and quite good I must say. So now I must go in search of the 'true' Siew Pau.

This recipe for Char Siew is kindly shared by a member of Kitchen Capers. I just modified the quantity and the method of cooking.

Ingredients :

500g pork belly (pork must have some fat in it to be tender. Do not use lean pork loin)

Marinade :
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce (I omitted this)
2 1/2 tbsp soya sauce
1 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 piece red fermented beancurd
1/2 tbsp chinese wine
2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1) Cut pork belly into 3/4 to 1 inch thickness. I didn't cut as I used two separate pieces bought from the supermarket.
2) Mix all the ingredients for marinade together and marinate pork pieces for at least 4 hours, even better overnight in the refrigerator.

Method for wok frying - adapted from the recipe 'Shanghainese Pan-Fried Char Siew' in the book Hawkers' Fare - Best of All Times Favourites.

1) It's best to use a non-stick wok(mine's anodized and cleans easily) for this, otherwise you'll have a hard time scrubbing later.
2) When ready to cook, add 250 ml of water into the wok and pour in the marinade from the pork. Bring to a boil.
3) Add in the pork pieces. Once the water boils again, lower the flame to medium. Let the mixture slowly simmer, uncovered. Turn the pork over every 3-4 minutes.
4) Once the water has dried up, lower the flame to small. Pan-fry the pork until your desired level of crisp-ness and 'charred-ness'. Watch it carefully to prevent burning.
5) Dish up, slice and enjoy.

If you prefer to grill, here is the method from the original recipe.
1) Take meat out from refridgerator 1/2 hour before grilling.
2) Grill/broil the meat until cooked. While grilling, turn the meat 3-4 times to allow even browning.
3) When meat is cooked, brush with honey glaze(1 tbsp honey mixed with 1 tbsp water) and remove.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

angie, isnt preparing the charsiew alot of work already...after that u still made them into pastries. i really take my hat off u, i could nvr do it =)

Tazz said...

Evan is right! Angie, you are very hardworking, unlike this lazy Tazz. :(

SeaDragon said...

Angie,
Your Char Siew does look very succulent, well done! Does it take long to wok-fry? Love your Char Siew Soh too...

Unknown said...

Evan, Eve, thanks for your kind words. I'm not hardworking lah, just cooking/baking helps me to pass time, it's therapeutic too! Besides, the work is split over two days, so not that bad.

Lance, as this recipe is from a KC member, I'm checking with her if I could post the recipe here. Will let you know.

SD, thanks for your compliments. Hmm..takes abt 20-30 mins for a 200g(estimate) pc of pork belly. Haha, my pleating for the Char Siew Soh sucks, that's why they are all 'laughing' at the top. *lol* Guess I can't make paus….

Anonymous said...

hey angie, great minds think alike! i did mention once in my blog that i find cooking very therapeutic too! it relieves stress and makes me happy. much better than going to spa, or pub, or whatever popular stress-relieving methods that ppl adopt these days :p

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sure look yummy!

Unknown said...

Lance, recipe posted :)

Thanks Ching :)