Saturday, May 13, 2006

Two Lunches

I gave myself a long holiday. Since yesterday's a public holiday, I also took leave on Thursday, wanted to get some rest. Well, I guess it's half rest, the other half spent in the kitchen.

Managed to cook a simple pasta lunch for lunch yesterday. You may have noticed I quite like Italian fare. That's one of my weakness, besides japanese food. Tried to create a dish which we have frequently enjoy in a food court. It's actually fettucine with prawns and rucola leaves in a tomato-cream sauce. I whipped up one using vermicelli with squid and prawns. Here it is.


As for today, we went 'Chinese'. Cooked a simple soup, simple by putting all the ingredients into the slow cooker and just let it boil. As my hubby likes pork dishes, I prepared one by using a recipe from the book Hawkers' Fare Simplified. Verdict: not bad at all.



Recipe for Pork Loins in Tomato Sauce

This recipe is adapted from the recipe Supreme Pork Chop in the book Hawkers Fare Simplified.

300g pork loin

Marinade:
½ tbsp oyster
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sesame oil
½ a beaten egg
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tsp kiwi juice *

Sauce
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp light soya sauce
3 tbsp water

60g corn flour

Oil for deep frying

Method:
1) Cut pork loins into 1 cm thick pieces and pound with the back of the cleaver. Add in the marinade ingredients and mix well. Marinate for at least 1 hr (I prefer overnight).
2) Add in corn flour and mix to coat. Heat up oil. Put in pork loins and deep fry until golden brown. Drain.
3) Leave about 1 tbsp oil in wok, add in sauce and cook until slightly thickened. Add in fried pork loins and mix well to coat evenly. Dish up and serve.

* The original recipe uses bicarbonate of soda. I replaced with kiwi juice, which also has tenderizing effects.
** The above recipe is only half recipe for my family of two. Double all ingredients if you have a big family to feed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie,
oh they all look lovely! I thought you don't like pork (that much)? Well, for hubby right *wink* Hope you don't mind me saying... I have a problem of reading the dish's name printed on your photos... what do you think?

giselle

Unknown said...

Giselle, you're right, I don't like pork that much. Whenever I cook pork dishes, I only pinch 2 or 3 pieces, it's to 'feed' the hubby, who's the 'pork-nivore' *lol*

Oh ya hor, can't really see the words clearly. Will change the font and color to contrast more *oops*

Little Corner of Mine said...

Angie, can you post the recipe for old cucumber soup? I can see old cucumber, pork and red dates, anything else? TIA!

All the food loves yummy!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ching. The soup is done by estimation leh. I used one small old cucumber, some pork ribs, red dates and 2 pieces dried cuttlefish. I just place all this into my slow cooker and let it cook overnight. If you using normal stove, just let it boil slowly till the ribs are soft. Oh yes, I find the taste would be better if you can add in some dried oysters.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Thanks Angie! I don't have dried oyster though, perhaps dried scallop would work too. But I have no idea how old cucumber looks like. Perhaps works with winter melon also.

Unknown said...

Ching, there's a pic of the old cucumber at the url below, under the post "Old Cucumber Tea"

http://umami.typepad.com/umami/2004/08/

Unknown said...

I haven't tried winter melon, but shouldbe okay too. Happy cooking. :)

myCoffee said...

Your pork dish looks tantalising Are they pork chops? Can share the recipe, please?

Unknown said...

Mycoffee, these are pork loins. I'll post the recipe up soon, give me some time :)