Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Sometimes It Does Work!

Being a huge durian fan, I am more than happy to make another dessert using this fruit. This time it’s durian AND chocolate!

Okay, some of you might be going “Ewwwwww! That’s gross!” Well, actually not at all, some things you’ll never know until you try. The ‘star’ of this is not the durian, but the lovely chocolate crust, recipe from Ilva of Lucilian Delights.

I first came across this crust recipe over at Gattina’s(which is why I also adapted her method), and I’ve been wanting to make them for a long time. Finally the chance came for these Chocolate Tartlets with Durian Filling.


I absolutely love the chocolate crust. It’s buttery, chocolate-y, not too sweet, and ‘shortcrust-y', everything I would like in a tart crust. Cocoa powder tends to be a bit ‘drying’, but this is not so at all. Besides making these tartlets, I also used them for cut-out cookies, which turned out highly addictive. If you’re looking for a great chocolate tart crust, this is it!

The good thing about this combination is, neither the crust nor the filling overpowers the other. Although durian has a strong taste, the chocolate actually managed to ‘tame’ it down, allowing the slight bitterness of the crust to come through.


Here’s my adapted recipe for the crust:

145g plain flour
25g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
100g butter
80g sugar
2 egg yolks

1) Sift the first three ingredients to combine.
2) Cream butter and sugar until creamy. Add in egg yolks one by one, and beat until well combined.
3) Add in dry ingredients, mix to form a smooth dough. Divide dough into two pieces, shape into a disk, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
4) Working on one disc at a time, roll out to about slightly less than 0.5cm. Use the tartlet tins or cookie cutter to cut the dough to fit the tins. Cover the lined tins and freeze for 10 mins.
5) Bake in a pre-heated 180C for about 20 to 25 mins. Remove from the oven, cool for about 2-3 mins before gently easing the tartlets out of the tins. Cool completely before filling.

* I only used half of the dough to make about 9 tartlets (6cm diameter) plus some cut-out cookies. For the other half, I just wrapped it well and popped it into the freezer.

For the durian filling, simply remove the flesh from the seeds, and pass through a sift to remove fibres. Chill until ready to fill the tartlets.

15 comments:

LittleHands said...

Angie, yr tart looks so yummilicious! *slurp slurp*. Durian is my favourite too. I would love to make this tart too. Thks for sharing :-)

Dutchess said...

Angie, I've just put on 5 kgs from looking at the delicious photos. Burp!

Gattina Cheung said...

Oh how much I love this tart even I don't eat durian! Imagining the bitter-sweet (choco) and the floral-sweet (durian), maybe I should be starting out this way to taste durian! Angie, your fingers fill with artistic cells... gorgeous tarts!
So, still the work tight you up? *hug hug*

Orchidea said...

I like durian (even though I do not like the smell) and I would really like to try one of those.
Ciao.

Anh said...

Angie, beautiful tartlet... You tempt me to use it for my next party :D.

Hope your work gets less busy and you have some tome to relax. Mine starts to pick up now, but can't do anything about that! :)

Edith said...

I always love chocolate with durian. It is a good combination despite many who don't agree. Friend, please save a piece for me to perk my sad heart up.

LittleHands said...

Angie, I make the cookies liao using yr recipe. Nice but I find not sweet enough for cookies. But for tart, it would be just nice. Now I still got half dough left for making tarts. Thks! :-)

^cherie said...

Yummy!

Just when i wanted to bake a chocolate tart cheesecake and u've posted this.. what a coincident!

Thanks for the recipe dear.. cant wait to try it soon! ;)

Anonymous said...

wow ...Angie...this one is really like eating durian in a biscuit LOL
I'm so game to try this :-)

Unknown said...

Wow, Jolene, you're so fast! As I don't have a vert sweet tooth, and I love bittersweet chocolate, so the sweetness is just right for me. Paisei, it's not sweet enough for you.

Haha, Dutchess, I put on a few pounds just by EATING these, kekeke...

Gattina, hope you'll acquire a taste for durian some day :p Thanks pal for your concern. Yup, work still busy as usual, need to get used to it.

Orchidea, glad to 'meet' another person who likes durian :)

Anh, I know you love chocolate *wink*. Oh yes, I can imagine how busy you'll be, I've been working with PhD students all the time (I work in a reasearch lab), so I know how hard they work...

Edith, everything okay? Why are you sad?

Sherie, choc tart cheesecake? That sounds absolutely indulgent!

Sandhya, you're so right in your description - durian biscuit!

LittleHands said...

Hey, everybody got different taste lah. No need to feel paiseh lah. But guess what? The more I makan the more I'm used to the bittersweet taste now, hee. So I no need to add more sugar liao - less sugar is healthy *wink*

Vanessa said...

Hi, I'm so happy to find a recipe that uses durian and chocolate together. Do I need to grease the tins before I put the dough in the tins?

Eliza said...

hi angie,
it's me eliza over at Notes from My Food Diary...this is something that i might try next time. i love durian only after it's cooked as opposed to fresh! i love the smell but not the texture :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ivy,

Hope you received the my reply on your blog.

Eliza, thanks for dropping by :)

Vanessa said...

Thanks, Angie. I have received your comments on my blog. Once again, thank you!