Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Quick One

Work has been picking up speed again, hence you may see me MIA (missing in action) sometimes. But I'll try to update whenever possible.

Here I have an easy recipe for croquette, which is basically a snack made of mashed potatoes, meat or vegetables. Croquettes are usually deep-fried. Here I made a 'healthier' version by baking them instead. It's my own 'simply-put-together' recipe, hence I don't have the exact measurements. I also added curry powder for an extra 'zing'. Please feel free to adjust accordingly to your taste and liking.

Tuna Potato Croquette

2 medium potatoes(I used Yukon Gold)
1 small can tuna in water, drained and flaked
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1½ tsp curry powder
Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
1 egg, beaten
Wholemeal breadcrumbs and curry powder for coating

1) Cook potatoes by boiling or microwave until soft, mash well.
2) Heat up olive oil and sauté onions and garlic till fragrant. Add tuna, curry powder, pepper and salt, mix well. Finally add in mashed potatoes and blend well.
3) Let mixture cool slightly and shape into patties. Cover patties and refrigerate for about 30 mins to firm up.
4) Mix breadcrumbs and curry powder well. Dip patties into egg and then in breadcrumb mixture. Shake off excess.
5) Place patties on a lined baking tray and bake in pre-heated 220C oven for 30 mins, or until golden brown.
6) Serve immediately.

The wholemeal breadcrumbs provided a nutty and crispy contrast to the soft and fluffy interior.

8 comments:

Anne said...

I'm always on a look out for simple, easy to do recipes and I think this is worth trying :)

Anh said...

Angie, I have been very busy, too... But that's life, isn't it? Take care! And your Tuna Potato Croquette is beautiful!!

Baking Fiend said...

Thanks for the recipe, angie.. it sure looks like a versatile recipe which i can juz add anything i want to!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Angie, thanks for sharing the recipe! I didn't know you can actually bake croquette. Will certainly try this healthy version for my kids.

Gattina Cheung said...

the wheat bread crumb and curry sound like a good trick for oven method. Take care my pal! Hope you have a relaxing and no-stress weekend!

Unknown said...

Anne, let me know if you do try them out :)

Anh, thanks. You take care too okay?

Ida, yup, croquettes are pretty versatile snacks to make :p

Happy Homebaker, hope you'll give them a try.

Gattina, thanks! I will take care, glad to ahve your constant support and encouragement my pal :)

Katie said...

My kind of croquette - I love them but hate the frying - and resulting fat content.
Baking is wonderful.

My FoodPrints said...
This comment has been removed by the author.