Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Guess....

...what these are?


Anyone got it right? Just some simple buns, flavoured with coffee. Yes, I had to make something successful, so went to get my tried-and-tested recipe and altered some of the ingredients and viola, soft and fluffy Coffee Milk Buns (recipe follows).


On hindsight, I should have used expresso instead of the usual coffee granules. Although the coffee aroma during baking is enough to make my house smell like a cafe, the taste is not as strong as I had wanted it to be. But nonetheless, delicious with a cup of coffee(yes, double dose of caffeine).

Also attempted to make scones. I've never had any luck in making scones. When I came across this Cream Scone recipe by a KC member, it reminded me to re-attempt this again. Not as tall as I wanted them to be, but really one of the best tasting scones I've eaten. It's simply buttery and melt-in-the-mouth. If I could get them to rise more then they would be perfect.

Two different shapes, round and mini triangles.

Recipe for Coffee Milk Buns

Ingredients (A) – mix well
240g bread flour
60g TopFlour/Cake flour
5g bread improver
7g milk powder
60g sugar
3g salt

Ingredients (B)
7g dry yeast – dissolve in 30g tap water
2 tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 10g water
80g cold milk
80g cold water
20g melted butter or canola oil

Extra melted butter for glazing

Method:
1)Dissolve yeast in 30g water and wait for 5 mins to become frothy. Stir well
2) Mix the yeast with the remaining ingredients in A and B(except butter/oil) together to form a dough. Then add butter/oil and knead into a smooth and elastic dough. The dough should not be sticky.
3) Round the dough, cover and ferment until double in size, about 45 mins to 1 hour.
4) Punch down the dough to release some air. Shape (see below)*
5) Cover with greased plastic wrap and prove for 45 mins to 1 hour.
6) Bake in preheated 180C oven for 20 to 30 mins or until cooked. Brush the top immediately with melted butter. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

*For shaping:
Divide dough into 10 equal pieces and arrange in a greased or lined 9-inch round pan.
You can also make them into individual buns. Just note that the baking times will differ accordingly.

Note 2: A good coffee will help in the aroma of these buns. I used the usual granules this time, the fragrance is not as strong as I had wanted it. Expresso would probably be the best, but the sugar amount may have to be increased slightly to offset the bitterness. I have not found the balance as this is my first attempt at coffee flavour.

23 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. Angie....u come out of all these delicious bake again... yum yum..... :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love your coffee milk buns! So soft and fluffy!

Anonymous said...

I lurvveeee yr coffee milk buns too *knock knock, are you at home, hehe*.

Say, Angie, what is yr Ariston oven model? Still got uneven browning?

Jolene

Unknown said...

Ellena, Ching, thanks. All thanks to the support from you gals :)

Jolene,
Buns long gone, knock on my door next week, I make bread once a week ;p

You're shopping for an oven right? Mine's FD97, the one with the 'ice finish'. You must have remembered me saying uneven browning. Maybe I should have re-phrased that. I mean when baking, especially cookies, those closer to the back of the oven gets brown faster than those in front. So I rotate the tray about midway through baking. For stuff like cake/bread tins where it's placed in the centre, there is no such problem. Actually this is not specific to Aristons, I've seen other ovens which required rotating the tray. What brands are you considering? I can think of Indesit, Brandt, Bosch, Tecnogas, Teka, and of course the higher end ones like Gaggenau, Miele. Hope the above helps in your shopping :)

Anonymous said...

"Actually this is not specific to Aristons, I've seen other ovens which required rotating the tray"

I guess you're right, Angie. So, I'm considering Ariston again. Technogas is out cos' they don't sell the box cabinet - they asked me to find my own carpenter for it,so troublesome leh. As for the other brands, where can I find it? Highter ends one out of my budget lah.

Thank you so much for the info :-).

Jolene

Anonymous said...

Wow! Just went to Mayer's website. Yours look so cool! Saw that there're 2 handles. I just kpo only hor (won't be buying yr model - out of my budget) - What is the top part for?

Jolene

Unknown said...

Jolene,

For Brandt and Bosch, you can try Harvey Norman and Best Denki. Check out the following website as well
http://www.rinaelectrical.com.sg/

Oh, my oven, the top part is called the 'Balancing Door', just for nice only, I don't have that, it not only costs money, but take up space too.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Angie, you're so knowledgeable.

I can only 'drool' when I went to check out rinaelectrical just now. Only the lower end Brandt brand meets my budget. However, being the 'mountain tortoise', I haven't heard of Brandt. You've any feedback on it? TIA again! :-)

Jolene

Anonymous said...

Angie,
I'd die for anything with butter and coffee... I see your scones the height seem ok (no?), the texture's great! Time for high tea!!!
gattina

Amrita said...

beautiful buns!!! can i have the recipe?

Eva said...

your buns looks so soft ah......yummy yummy!!

Unknown said...

Jolene, i think I can't help you on this. I know of Brandt, but haven't heard comments on it coz I don't think a lot of pple using it. When I was shopping for an oven, only considered Ariston ;p

Gattina, I know you love coffee, and butter of course ;p I find it a bit too short for a scone, maybe because I flatten the dough too much before cutting out the round ones. But the texture's great, very buttery and fragrant.

Amrita, no problem, I'll put it up this weekend.

Thanks Eva ;)

Anonymous said...

It's ok, Angie, no problem. You've been a great help already. Thank you so much! :-))

Have a nice weekend! :-)

Jolene

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
I have an extreme taste... either extremely buttery to extremely plain. So,,, when you're gonna to defrost your biga? *hint hint*

Unknown said...

Gattina,

Soon, soon ;p

Rene said...

Hi Angie,

Your bread looks great! *Envy!* I wish I'm able to churn out something close to yours but I never had any luck with bread. *Sigh*

BTW, where can I get bread improver and how does it look like? Thanks in advance!

Unknown said...

Rene, thanks. Keep trying with breads, they are not difficult.

I get my bread improver from Phoon Huat, they have two types, one for soft buns, one for crusty breads. It's in a small bottle, placed together with things like baking powder and baking soda. The staff will let you know if you can't find it.

Anonymous said...

hey angie, know something? according to my referral feed, your blog has one of the highest hits to mine. there are 80 hits from your blog so far. but i'm wondering, how come i don't hear from u lately? you havent commented or anything for quite some time but apparently you did leave your footprints in others' blogs. did i do anything to make u angry?

Unknown said...

Evan, you didn't do anything to make me angry lah. Sorry I haven't been leaving comments in your Kitchen. I've been very busy with work and other stuff lately, and only have time for a few 'site-visiting' everyday, and I have a habit of going back to the same site to check the author's reply, so end up with the same sites everyday. I better 'cast a bigger net' now.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

no lah angie, i'm not saying u must visit my blog. i tot we had some misunderstandings and tot its better to clear the air, if any. but glad nothing happened. ive been nursing a food poisoning lately, havent fully recovered yet. anyway u take care =)

Cuisine Paradise said...

Thanks... Angie for your this wonder coffee bread recipe.... i made some just now.. and the aroma realli fills the whole house with coffee smells.. and the bread taste great.... thanks.. for sharing..

Unknown said...

sspaks,

Glad you liked the bread. My KA is not the Artisan model. It’s the bowl-lift model, sorry can’t remember the model number. It’s white (the only color available, at least in Singapore). So far, my KA has performed well, not only in kneading bread, but also in making cakes and stuff. It’s a worthy investment I must say. I’m just curious, why chuck out your breadmachine? Not doing a good job for you? But I must say both have their advantages.