Thursday, May 25, 2006

Wholesome Grains

Yesterday is one of those days when I want to bake something, but don't want to wash too many bowls. Actually washing up is one of the things I dread the most, but since I can't escape from this 'package', can't complain too much too.

The following cookies suited my mood just fine. I've only used two bowls, one fork, a baking tray and viola! These were ready in about an hour.

These Cinnamon Oat Cookies are modified based on Gina's(KC) recipe for Oat Cookies. I have a pack of baby oats which I have a hard time finishing, so these helped to use up a bit.


Crunchy butterless cookies with a hint of cinnamon, lovely with a cuppa coffee. Oh by the way, oats are supposed to be good for health and the digestive system. Another reason to munch on these cookies.

Cinnamon Oat Cookies (the original recipe is here)

Makes about 45 pieces of 1½ inches diameter

180g plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 to 1½ tsp ground cinnamon (depending on how ‘cinnamon-y’ you like it)
1/8 tsp salt
60g castor sugar
30g light brown sugar
90g baby oats(rolled oats is fine too)
125ml Sunflower Oil
1 egg(beaten)

Method

1) Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add sugar and oats to mix.
2) Mix together oil and egg. Add to flour mixture and mix to form a dough.
3) Using a spoon, roll dough into balls (about 1 inch). Place on a lined baking sheet and flatten slightly.
4) Bake in preheated 180C oven for 15 to 20 mins or until golden brown.
5) Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, how bout the cooling rack? don't u wash it too? and oven, i always give it a good wipe after i bake something, so no matter how little dishes i hv, end up i still hv to clean the miscellaneous!

your cookies look good indeed angie. its been some time i had cookies, so i think i must bake some one day! great job!

by the way, do u hv any eclair/cream puff filling ideas? i don't want custard & i saw emicakes selling those with real durian filling, but not sure how to make them. even a chocolate cream would be good. wonder if u hv any recipe for that coz i already know how to make the choux pastry :p thx dear!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice looking cinnamon oat cookies! Indeed, oat is good for us, love oatmeal cookies too.

Eva said...

Very nice cookies...simple to make and delicious, well done!!!

Unknown said...

Evan, I'm not as hardworking. I only wipe down the oven when I do grills. Thanks for your kind words on the cookies.
Eclair filling? I don't have any recipes on hand coz I never ventured into choux pastry. But I know fresh durian filling usually consists of pure durian puree mixed with fresh cream (whipped slightly). For cream filling, check out the following link
http://www.baking911.com/recipes/pastry/pastrycream.htm

Ching, Eva, thanks for your compliments :)

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
I usually prefer the chewy oat cookies, but I think I'm going to convert after seeing your version! Look really good!
you on vacation or just busy? Haven't seen you recently...

Anonymous said...

hey again angie, hope u r fine =) thx for the pastry cream recipe. i have yet to try them out coz my focus now is on cupcakes frosting. did my virgin batch, do visit n let me know what u think! take care girl!

Unknown said...

Gattina, Evan, thanks for your concern. I took a little 'retreat' from the cyberworld the past few days. I made some stuff over the past weekend, but somehow had no mood to post them. Time for me to get my butt(pardon my language) moving again.

Gattina, I loved these cookies, each time I step into the kitchen, I would pinch one from the bottle, finished half of them by myself *lol*. There is a bit of chew in the centre. If you like it chewier, perhaps can increase the proportion of brown to castor sugar? Just my suggestion ;p

Evan, you're welcome. Ar.. Cupcakes frosting, must be pretty : )

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
I absolutely understand... just like sometimes we don't want to step out of the house huh.
I'm very disappointed the quality of butter here, most of them have no flavor, so I've given up baking cookies... *hint hint* mmm... it's be nice if I can taste some of yours, kekee...

Anonymous said...

angie, i totally understand how u feel. u work rite? so i guess it muz b pretty draining by the end of the day. take yr time to post the photos or update yr blog. afterall, it shdnt be an obligation, but something to do at yr own free will =) we can always browse the archives for the yummilicious stuffs u made in the past, so no worries!

butt is not a bad word afterall. at least u didnt use the word 'ass' hee hee!

Unknown said...

Gattina, I tot Land O Lakes is a pretty popular brand in US? For me, I'm using Lurpak, a danish brand. This is the best one I've tried so far, very fragrant. Should I mail you some cookies, *wink*

Evan, thanks for your encouragement. Guess I was just in a bad mood the past few days, have gotten over it : )

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
Personally I don't see what so good about Land O Lakes. Oh yeah, I think I still remember the deep flavor and creamy of Lurpak! Just take more photos of food when you travel, that's already sweet enough :)