Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Say Cheese!!!!!

I’m sure many of you recognize the lovely green herb above. Yes, it’s oregano, and it’s the main ingredient in my post today for Weekend Herb Blogging, this week hosted by Ulrike from Kuchenlatein.

I first came across this recipe from Marieke’s Maison Dorré Trifles. It has never occurred to me that cheese cookies can be so simple to make, yet so wonderfully light and fragrant. I added chopped oregano to lend some aroma to these cookies, but this recipe should be versatile enough for other additions like poppy seeds, or even paprika!


This is my version of these Cheese Cookies:

50 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
50 grams Parmesan cheese*, grated
60 grams all-purpose flour
Freshly grated black pepper
One to two sprigs oregano, chopped
1 egg yolk

Whole oregano leaves for decoration(optional)
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp water - for glazing

1) Whisk together cheese, flour, black pepper and chopped oregano in a bowl
2) Rub butter into flour mixture using your fingertips, two knifes or a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas.
3) Add in egg yolk to bind the mixture together, and knead gently 3-4 times.
Wrap mixture in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins
4) Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough to about 0.5 cm and cut into your desired shapes.
5) Place on a lined baking tray. Place one oregano leave on top and egg wash the surface.
6) Bake in a pre-heated 200C for about 15 mins or so, or until light golden brown. Cool and munch away!

*Do use good quality cheese and butter for this recipe. After all, these two are what make up these cookies. I used Parmigiano Reggiano, which imparted a fantastic flavour to the cookies.


13 comments:

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie, they are my kind of cookies!!!!! What a beautiful presentation!
A nice co-incidience... I just made a batch, but I fooled around the recipe too much. I used the whole egg (liquid too much, so the cookies turned chewy instead of flaky). And I used parsley which couldn't live up with the cheese. Now I learning from you!

Piccola said...

Really interesting recipe~ I'll love to give it a shot. Does it taste like pizza after baking? Coz oregano always reminds me of pizza herbs. ^^;

Anh said...

Beautiful cheese cookies with a fantastic combibation of oregano! I can feel the rich taste and the fragrance of oregano from here... :D (Note I love anything cheesy, especially savoury typeR!)

D said...

Ahh savory cookies, just the thing to whet an appetite before a meal.

^cherie said...

Wah, looks very delicious Angie! Cheese.. yums :P~

I'm missing homemade cookies leh.. *hint*hint* LOL.

Unknown said...

Gattina, thanks for your kind words :D. Hmm..parsley? Not really my kind of herbs too, I'm sure your next batch of cookies will turn out fabulous :)

Piccola, no no, doesn't taste like pizza, though I love oregano and pizza :)

Anh, yup yup yup, cheese and savoury - perfect!

D, great to 'see' you again :)

Sherie, hi hi hi! Been missing you lots!

Chawanmushi said...

Hi Angie
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I have half a bottle of powdered parmesan cheese and was wondering how to use it and this recipe is indeed timely. I wonder if I can substitute oregano with green onions or chives. tia :-)

Unknown said...

Hi hi Cecily, I'm not quite sure about using powdered parmesan, do let me know if you try it :)

Helene said...

Hello Angie,
your cakes look great. Nice coincidence, they match my mushrooms cookies. I´ll give them a try.

Marieke said...

Hee Angie,

I just saw the herbal twist you gave 'my' cheesy cookies. It looks and sounds as something I have to try in return! Love the glazing too. Also a compliment for lighting and colours of your photo's.

Greetings from Holland,

Marieke

Kalyn Denny said...

I agree, the photos look great. This sounds very delicious.

Unknown said...

Helene, thanks. I saw your cute mushroom cookies, delicious too :p

Marieke, thanks so much for your kind words, and for your recipe. It's really easy to do, and absolutely yummy!

Sher, thanks!

Kalyn, thank you too :)

Mansi said...

I've been looking for a perfect cheese cookie recipe, and I think yours look great! will try these soon!:)