Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Savoury éclairs

I was sorting out the photos in my PC, and found out that I had made these some time back, but haven’t posted them yet.

This mini éclairs are made using Florence’s choux pastry recipe. After making the durian cream puffs, I liked the pastry so much that I made them again a few days later. But I wanted something savoury this time. Digging into my pantry, I found a can of tuna, together with a tub of cottage cheese in the fridge. So I made a simple tuna cheese filling for these éclairs.



Do check out Florence’s site for the choux pastry recipe. The filling is very simple to make too. Basically just prepare according to your taste and liking, there’s no rule to this. I just mix one can of tuna(I used tuna in olive oil), about half a tub of cottage cheese(or more if you like), add juice from half a lemon, some freshly cracked black pepper, and you’re ready to go. I also added in some spring onions(scallions) as well.


This is my first time using cottage cheese, and I’m surprised at the creaminess it imparted to the filling. It’s like mayonnaise, but minus the fats, and makes a good substitute, in my opinion. It makes a great sandwich filling too.

10 comments:

simcooks said...

Hi hi! First time commenting on your blog. The tuna eclairs looks delicious! I like Florence's blog too. Lots of things Singaporeans eat. I've made choux pastry before but got the vanilla filling wrong. Maybe I will make your savoury eclairs next time. Great idea! I have a food blog too, feel free to visit :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

I've never had savory eclairs and these look superb!
I love the filling, Angie, it sounds light and still yummy!

Anh said...

Angie, these are so cute and perfect! I love cottage cheese, too :). I really love your idea - perfect for finger food!

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm very big on canned tuna in olive oil lately!

sher said...

Hooray! I think my problems with Blogger have cleared up! I love those eclair's. What a great idea for a party--when people don't want to eat sweets. I adore tuna in olive oil--so this is the recipe for me!

Ari (Baking and Books) said...

What a unique recipe! I'd love to have something like this for lunch today.

Ari (Baking and Books)

Gattina Cheung said...

Beautiful! I'm going to try a round puff of this version. Thanks pal!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. this is a great and special idea Angie.. now i knew what to do with the Choux Pastry le.. :) U are great!

Unknown said...

Hi Simcooks, thanks for visiting, and you have a lovely blog :)

Patricia, yes, I like the filling very much too. In fact, this has become my favourite!

Anh, thanks pal! :)

Kalyn, I've always loved tuna too :)

Sher, so happy to 'see' you here. Blogger's been giving me some headache, but glad yours had been resolved.

Ari, thank you!

Gattina pal, I'm sure your version will turn out amazing, like all your creations!

Ellena, thanks for your kind words. Me not great lah, just wanted a different taste to make life more interesting, hee...

^cherie said...

So delicious looking! *drool*

Another idea for my boys' lunch. Bet they'll love it! Thanks dear :)