Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Good Roast

I have made roasted chicken a few times, and mainly used very asian seasonings like plum sauce, soya sauce etc. Roasted chicken is my favourite dish to cook, because it's simple to prepare, just marinate, pop into the oven and let it cook on its own.

This is my first 'western-style' roast. A search on the net will throw out plenty of recipes, but as with all recipes, not all will work well. So a big thanks to Gattina who provided the link for this recipe. I trust Gattina's recommendation and this recipe doesn't look too complicated. So I gathered my herbs(used dried rosemary and bay leaf in place of the fresh ones) and off I went to roast this chicken.


When we tucked into this chicken, we were surprised by how flavourful it was. Juicy, succulent and very very tender. Breast meat is usually the drier part of a roast, but not for this bird. We 'walloped' the entire chicken, together with some roasted vegetables. Initially I wanted to save some breast meat for a sandwich, but still ended up devouring everything. It was THAT good!

8 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. That looks great...... bet it must be very delicious....

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
you two finished the chick so quick? Oh I'm too late... :P
Any tip on choosing dry bay leaf? I bought some but it has some funny after-taste...
I'm glad the recipe works fine. That chef has many fantastic roast receipes although most of them are pretty complicated. But you're a great cook, shouldn't be a problem to you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ellena, it's truly delicious :)

Gattina, you don't need to eat mine lah, tot you made a chinese roasted chick ;p
The dried bay leaves I used came in a bottle, and it's from the brand McCormick. I'm not sure if it has a funny taste coz I've never used the fresh ones beofre, so can't compare. But I taste more of the rosemary then other tastes, maybe because the bay leaf is stuffed into the stomach?
I'm not a great cook lah, just a 'weekly cook', will check out the other recipes, but I like simple roast recipes, too lazy *lol*

Tazz said...

Angie, did you insert a thermometer in the thickest part of a leg to check for doneness? *curious* The recipe sounds great but too bad I don't have most of the ingredients. :(

Unknown said...

Eve, yup I did use a thermometer, also check that the juices ran clear before I took it out. Did you mean the herbs? These are the usual herbs I have in my freezer, so easier. But you can always use herbs that you like :)

Ee Laine said...

You know, the secret to a brown, juicy sweet roast is a spread of bbq sauce on the skin in the last half hour or so. Does wonders!

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
thanks! I guess I just need to shift to your brand... mine is dried one also, had used in many dishes, but it gave me sort of mint taste, or I felt like my mouth just being flossed...

Unknown said...

Gattina,

Hee... then you don't need mint floss, just use bay leaves, kekee..

But seriously, I can't be accurate abt the taste of the bay leaf coz the rosemary sort of 'masked' the bay leaf taste, I think best to use it in a stock so that the taste will come across. Anyway, that's something I want to do when I'm back :)