Sunday, June 04, 2006

In the Mood For...

A pretty dessert. I don't usually do a lot of decorations for the cakes I bake, since there's only me and hubby eating most of the time, or I bring them to my workplace for my colleagues, so I don't see the need to do that. Another reason is I'm not a very creative person. But this dessert is an exception, which makes me want to 'plate' it nicely.

I was surfing the net for flourless chocolate cake recipes when I came across this by Alice Medrich. This recipe for Fallen Chocolate Souffle Torte is in her book Chocolate & the Art of Low Fat Desserts, but I found the recipe here. I have actually tried her Marble Cake and Chocolate Pound Cake, both from this same book, and they turned out really delicious. Unfortunately this book seems to be out of print. How I wish I have this book on my bookshelf.

Anyway, the baking of this torte is really dramatic, in the good way I mean. The torte rose quite high in the oven and developed a crack on the surface. Then when it's removed from the oven, it falls drastically, just like a souffle. This is the first time when I actually wish for a cake to crack and fall, simply because it's supposed to.

I chose to serve it in two ways. One is simply dusted with icing sugar and with a little cream on the side.


For pure indulgence, adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream should do the trick.


Do not be fooled by the dark and dense texture of this torte and think that this would sit heavily in stomach. On the contrary, it is surprisingly light enough to be eaten after a main meal without feeling too guilty.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey angie, its really very pretty! like some kind of rich dessert served in high class french restaurant :p

Unknown said...

Thanks Evan :). You know what I do when I eat at restaurants? I take note of how they plate their desserts, especially Italian ones. I once tot of becoming a pastry chef, since dreams not fulfilled, so play around at home then ;p

Tazz said...

Angie, your cake looks very yummy! You are really good in baking. How I wish I can taste it! *lol*

Anonymous said...

sssshhh angie, not so loud :p thats a good question my dear. yes, the cupcakes i will eat them, BUT not the frosting. its too sweet. seriously, this is only for presentation. even if i were to bake them for ppl's birthdays, i will advise them to scrap off the frosting b4 eating oso, unless they hope 2b diabetics soon hehe. i only make 2-3 cupcakes each batch, so its not that much.

frankly, i wanna try out other types of frosting thats not so sweet. havent found anything yet. so far, the thing is, icing sugar is used to hold the shape together. so u need to add alot so u can pipe. i may wanna try shortening coz it doesnt melt.

Little Corner of Mine said...

What a lovely torte! Sure it tastes yummy!

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
I like how you presenting the cakes, very elegant, very classic!
Torte is one of my favorite, my (oops, someone's) recipe is quite similar to yours, I may give it a try :)

SeaDragon said...

Angie,
Looks really yummy, salivating now :) Good job on the presentation too, restaurant-standard already. I'm the same here, usually did not bother with decorating unless the cake is for someone's birthday or such.

Unknown said...

Evan, looks like you're having fun with your new hobby, keep up the good work.

Eve, Ching, Gattina, SD, thanks for your kind compliments. Quite embarrassed though :), it's just a simple presentation.

Gattina, haven't seen your cakes and bakes for some time ;p

SD, deco only for special ocasions? I still remember you posted a tiramisu torte before right? That one is impressive :)

Anonymous said...

hey girlie, don't feel embarrassed. u may think its a simple presentation but don't we all hv to start somewhere? who knows in a few mths time (or mayb even sooner) you'll be presenting like a pro! hv confident in yrself ya? u r a terribly good cook (ok lah nvr eat b4 but judging from what i see, i think u r)! i'm sure u hv no prob presenting or whatsoever. looking forward to more "masterpieces" from u =)

SeaDragon said...

Angie,
Haha, oh that one, had to decorate because it was a trial run cake for Christmas that year ;)

Gattina Cheung said...

Angie,
anything I haven't done for a while (in this case... cake) I'll have a hard time to pick it up. I failed one (Alice Medrich!) this morning, I better do something more easy first.

Anonymous said...

hey angie, could u do me a lil' favor? i banned a certain IP address from commenting in my blog. can u try & comment to see if u can? if not, pls feedback to me via my tagboard n i will remove the ban. thx!

Unknown said...

Evan, thanks, you're always very encouraging. And I've left a comment for your cheesecake post :)

Gattina, sorry to hear that the cake didn't work out this morning. But I'm sure you'll pick up speed very fast. 'Feed' my eyes when I'm back okay? ;p

Anonymous said...

hi angie, thx for yr help. yes i've made amendments on my post, it shd b either butter or margarine :p

from now on, all the comments gotta b moderated, thx for yr patience. coz some idiot hv been coming to my blog leaving hurtful comments, calling me a bitch n all, got no choice.

Unknown said...

Evan, I see. Don't worry, I understand. I'm actually also thinking about moderation of comments, haven't decided...