Thursday, January 05, 2006

Is it really Low-Fat?? - The Answer

Continuing from my previous post on my Yogurt Marble Cake. I have not answered the question “Is it really low fat?” I did some rough calculations, based on the fat amount from the butter, eggs and cocoa, which are the major contributors of fat. This recipe has, per serving, about 5.2g of fat of which 2.4g are saturated fat. For my old recipe for marble cake, it has 7.5g fat with 3.7g saturated per serving. Don’t call me a geek yet, sometimes I calculate these just for fun.

According to FDA’s food labeling definition, a low fat product must have 3g or less of total fat and 1g or less saturated fat per serving. So my cake does not exactly fit the criteria. But then, why bother too much with the numbers? Now, I believe in moderation rather than obsession with counting single calorie that goes into the mouth. That’s so miserable right? As far as I’m concerned, this cake is great, moist, light and with a just-right sweetness to it. And oh yes, it tastes even better the next day.

6 comments:

Tazz said...

I don't believe in any low fat or low calories confectioneries. Taking all the ingreidents into consideration, they are sinful no matter what! *lol*

Unknown said...

Hee, that's why I never state it's low calorie also. The combinations of ingredients will never fit the criteria of 'healthy' foods. :)

Jasmine Riko said...

LOL, perhaps can use sweetener, cottage cheese stuffs like that. Will it be less sinful? But then again the taste might not be the same again.

Fonia said...

*Lol*... Angie, I used to do 'calories counting' but found that cakes/biscuits, etc that are low in fat, dun taste as good as 'normal' (sinful) ones. ;P

Unknown said...

Jas, you're quite right, the taste won't be the same. But anyway, we don't usually finish what we cook by ourselves right? We 'share' the calories with others *LOL*.

Fonia, it's the fat that makes 'sinful' foods so great tasting ;p

Fonia said...

Dunno leh... But I have tried a few recipes 'so called' low fat. Like using margarine instead of butter, replace diet sugar for normal sugar, etc... The end result of the cakes or biscuits taste funny not so tasty loh.