Monday, January 16, 2006

Frantic Weekend

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. Not that frantic, but I've been busy over the past weekend baking cookies for the Chinese New Year. Which is why I didn't have time to post these earlier.

First up, Kueh Makmur. These are traditionally shaped into leaves and they should have a leaf pattern on top. However, as this is my first time making this, I couldn't get the leaf pattern on top, despite crimping before baking.I almost dropped dead after finishing making these, the shaping process is tedious, and there were only 46 pieces! But the end result is worth it, rich, melt-in-the-mouth buttery cookies with a fragrant peanut filling on the inside. All those who tried liked it very much :p




All packed up as gifts (re-used the metal tin from buying mooncakes :p)












Next up, Cashewnut Crisps. These cookies are true to their name, it's really crispy. I've made some a few weeks back using peanuts in place of cashewnuts, and the fragrance is simply irresistable!

Still taking their time in the oven (sorry for the poor pic, my oven door is reflective)





Fresh cookies from the oven

9 comments:

Fonia said...

Wow... Yr Kueh Makmur looks inviting! I like this vy much. Yo... Reading the desription - RICH, Melt-in-the-mouth buttery cookies with... *Drooling non-stop*

Unknown said...

:) Thanks Fonia.

Tazz said...

Angie, nice cookies. I have never tasted Kueh Makmur before. Looks yummy!

I am so scared of tedious recipe after the PA attempt! *lol*

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! Not sure I have tasted kueh makmur either.

Unknown said...

Eve, Ching,thanks! Kueh makmur is also known as 'Leaf-Shape' cookies, that's the traditional shape. But sometimes they are also made into round balls. So if you find something with a buttery outer coating with peanut filling, most likely to be it. I should have taken a photo of the inside :)

Jasmine Riko said...

Angie,
I love cookies, which are buttery and melt in mouth. I wonder you could share your Kueh Makmur recipe? I had not tasted any Kueh Makmur too although I have seen them before.

This month Eat maginze got this Kueh Makmur recipe but their one without any filling. I thought they should had peanut filling inside.

Unknown said...

Jas, I've posted the recipe in KC, you can find it here

http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4438

Try it, it may be tedious, but it's really nice :p

Unknown said...

Jas, after writing the previous comment then realize the URL link doesn't work, the recipe can be found under Asian Biscuits and Cookies.

Jasmine Riko said...

Thanks Angie. ^^