Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Long Time No See

Looking through my previous posts, I realized that I haven't posted about breads for quite some time. Why? Guess I have not been baking as much breads nowadays and even when I did, it's the same recipe, so nothing to write about.

I made this Walnut Couronne before I fell ill, so only had the chance to post now. Couronne means "crown" and it's shaped by first shaping the dough into a large donut, followed by using a long tin rod(I used a chopstick) to make four indentations, therefore producing a square within the round dough.

Unfortunately my shaping did not turn out very well, so the indentation lines kind of closed up during the second rise and subsequent baking. Nonetheless, here's a look at it:


This is actually modified from BBA's cinnamon walnut raisin bread. As I am not a big fan of raisins, I decided to turn it into a savoury loaf and used only walnuts(yes, nuts again :p).


Hmm... I realized that I still love bread making the most, among cakes, tarts and cookies. What about you?



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love bread baking when it works for me... which, unfortunately is not as often as I'd like. I like the immediacy of cookies, etc, better. But really, nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

Bread baking is one area of baking where I feel a lot of trepidation. I think it's not yet instinctual to me and therefore, I avoid it. I would love to try baking more since I love eating breads but just worry that I won't be successful. Any recommendations on simple, fail-proof recipes that I could try?

Cheers, Annie
ps. how did you come to know about our blog?

Unknown said...

Brilynn, I can't agree more, I love the way my kitchen smells from the bread fragrance :)

Annie, I'm sure if you bake breads more aften, you'll get over the trepidation very easily. Hmm, if you're interested in sweet buns, maybe you want to try the following:

http://mykitchenmylaboratory.blogspot.com/2006/02/comfort-food.html

I use this dough all the time whenever I feel like eating sweet breads :)

Anonymous said...

Angie, we seem to have the same 'telepathy'... ;) I just posted about bread-making in my blog (Asian-style buns though!). I love walnut, and your bread looks real good!

Sammy said...

Hello Angie, btw do u know of any wheat-free breads?

Unknown said...

Anh, thanks :) I agree with you on the telepathy :p

YD, yes, there are wheat-free bread recipes. But these usually utilizes substitute ingredients which may not be so readily available eg spelt flour, xanthan gum etc. You may be interested to check these sites:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_coeliac5.shtml#gluten-free_recipes

http://www.recipelink.com/wheatfree.html

Hope that helps.

Edith said...

always love your bread. Looks good.

Anonymous said...

oohh bread! My family loves bread. This is something new to try :)

Gattina Cheung said...

My bread pal *shaking hands*

Anonymous said...

I want your bread! Please send some over *wink*

I still haven't gotten my hands on the yeast u recommended Angie. I almost did until i saw the expiry date, Dec 06. Lol. Didn't think i was gonna bake often this month, so didn't get it :)

Unknown said...

Edith, thanks. Just like I always love your cupcakes :)

Anne, yup, nuts in breads give them a nice fragrance.

Gattina, *shake shake shake hands* :p

Haha, Sherie, thanks. Oh the yeast? Yeah, wait for them to clear the old stock, guess the new ones shd be on the shelves by Jan. You can store the yeast in the freezer too, it can last longer :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
fine looking bread, delicious! and so airy - yum!
I love raisins and of course...any type of nuts... the more, the better! ;)

Unknown said...

Julia, thanks :). Yes, the more nuts, the merrier!