Monday, October 09, 2006

An Asian Snack

Recently I'm 'into' Asian kueh kuehs, even since I read in the newspapers that there is this stall in Tiong Bahru Market selling some really nice nonya kueh. I went in search of them, and true enough, the stall does live up to its name, producing some really good ondeh ondeh, tapioca kueh and sweet potato kueh.

Ondeh ondeh are little balls usually made from a dough of sweet potato/tapioca(cassava) flour, and encase a filling of gula melaka(palm sugar) in the middle, and coated with coconut shreds. Well made ondeh ondeh should have a skin which is not too thick, yet with a bit of chew, and most importantly, it should burst at the first bite, spurting the molten gula melaka into your mouth(or clothes if you're not careful).

Now I know why the stall at Tiong Bahru Market only makes ondeh ondeh on 3 days of the week. It's really hard work. First I had to steam the sweet potato, then knead the dough for the skin, chop the gula melaka into small pieces, wrap each ball individually(had to make sure the filling is encased properly within), cook them in boiling water, and finally rolling them in grated coconut. It was a relief to finally produce these morsels, after more than half a day's work, phew...


I think next time I shall just drop by the stall to pick these up to satisfy my craving. Before I forget, the recipe is from LeeLee. Do check it out if you are interested.

13 comments:

Gracio said...

angie, reserve some for mua! Yea, it's really hard work, thats why hor, u never c me doing this.haha! :P

Urs looks really classy esp with the black paper 'cup'! :)

Anonymous said...

wow! My son and I love ondeh ondeh so much. He literally kept on persuading me to make one especially when he saw your pics. After reading your post though I think I'll buy him some store bought instead :)

Edith said...

Oh I love ondeh ondeh without the coconut! My favourite is Maxwell Market but always sold out by the time I arrived :(

And yours looks simply delicious!

Unknown said...

Grace, haha, it's not so bad if you have someone to share the work, but if not, it's really not easy. I only made half recipe some more.

Anne, ya lor, it's easier to buy :)

Edith, I haven't tried the ones at Maxwell. HariAnn's at Tiong Bahru Market are the best one I ate so far.

^cherie said...

Oh Angie, i love ondeh ondeh! I've always wanted to make them but never got to coz my house never seems to have gula melaka :P

Yours looks absolutely yummy! Would love to have some now.. hehe

Unknown said...

Cherie, thanks! I never used to like them, but now they are a favourite :)

zhengning said...

Hey, thanks for visiting! (: i'll let you know the pricing once i get them yah:) & i think ur onehoneh looks great! yums*!

Unknown said...

Zhengning, thanks so much! Hope it's not too much trouble for you.

Gattina Cheung said...

What a lovely looking ondeh! I can imagine how that running gula melaka warming (or burning) the mouth... yum!
I have no idea why tapioca food items just don't get popular in Hk, even we always love eating the sam filling and chewy glutinous flour snack...

Nabeela said...

oh wow...that sounds like you really worked hard for it! and it looks GREAT!
btw, great blog!

Unknown said...

Gattina, same-same :). That's why I had to wait for them to cool a bi first, cetainly won't want to burn my tongue.
Heh, I guess it's all due to different tastes and cultures.

Nabeela, thanks for your visit, and hope to see you around often:)

:: Pastry Girl :: said...

hey have been reading yr blog...din know u blogged abt ondeh ondeh! It's one of fave kueh apart from Ang Ku kueh..

hee..

Btw, Leelee's got brown colour instead. how did u achieve your ondeh ondeh in green?

Did u use exactly the same recipe and methods?

Unknown said...

Lavender cupcaker, thanks for dropping by :)

I think LeeLee used the orange sweet potato, mine's the yellow type, so I used 2 tbsp pandan juice(although I made half recipe only). I didn't follow exactly, coz I had to add quite a bit of water to bind everything into a dough, I think my sweet potatoes were quite dry. Didn't measure how much I added, just until everything could form into a soft dough. Hope that helps.