Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to Basics

This is a post about bread again. Nothing special, just a wholemeal loaf. In case you're wondering, I do not make crusty breads all the time. On some occasions, especially on days when there's little time but I still want to satisfy my 'addiction', I will go for soft loaves or buns. These are generally more straightforward to make, and don't require special preparations like using a baking stone or creating a 'steam oven'.





Made this wholemeal bread by tweaking an old recipe, adjusing the proportion of wholemeal flour so that I can get a 'decently soft' loaf and not a dense boulder. The bread turned out unexpectedly sweet, even though I've reduced the sugar. I'm guessing it's due to the milk. I had wanted a more savoury loaf to make ham or tuna sandwiches. Since this turned out sweet, I had it with jam and peanut butter.

7 comments:

Edith said...

yum yum, this looks so fluffy and nice. I wish I know how to bake bread :(

Gracio said...

yoz angie! u're really good at this! Im just so amazed at ur affection for breads. :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice looking bread, soft and fluffy!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. Angie, your bread really looks good... so nice and fluffy. U used bread machine for this? May i know which brand of bread machine u using...

Unknown said...

Edith, Grace, Ching, Ellena, thanks!

Edith, I'm sure you can bake some good breads too, practice makes perfect ya!

Grace, more like addiction, than affection ;p

Ellena, I don't have a breadmachine. I use my mixer to knead, followed by a few minutes of hand kneading towards the end.

Gattina Cheung said...

oh I almost smell the sweetness and nutty flavor from your fresh bake! Angie, you got a bread machine or a new mould for loaf?

Unknown said...

No lah Gattina, I'm adamant not to get a breadmachine, heh... I'm using my pullman loaf tin, been using this tin for loaf breads, just that this time I put the cover on, so it turned out square-ish.