Saturday, March 04, 2006

A Touch of Reminiscence

Since I had some free time on hands these few days, I wanted to prepare some home-cooked meals for my hubby. I was thinking of what I could cook and suddenly something came to my mind. 'Ngor Hiang', or meat rolls, is something that my late mum used to make whenever chinese festivals such as Chinese New Year is around the corner. Normally she would prepare the filling, and then leave me and my sister to do the wrapping while she continued to busy herself with the preparation of other dishes. As I sat down to wrap the rolls, it occured to me that so much has changed since and it has been such a long time I last made these. As for the taste, although I could not replicate exactly what my mum used to get, I am still quite pleased as I feel it's getting pretty close to that.


This herbal chicken is really easy to prepare, as I bought a packet of pre-mixed herbs. I just had to get a chicken and then steam it. Fuss free and sufficient for two meals.






Last but not least, I baked this pumpkin bread as well. Using the recipe for Sesame Sweet Bun Ring, I added in some mashed pumpkin. Although I adjusted the water and flour ratio accordingly, the pumpkin made the dough extremely soft and difficult to shape. In the end I could only use the tube pan to give it the flower shape, again. Really like this recipe dough, the bread comes out nice and soft, even after three days.

8 comments:

Tazz said...

Haha... Angie, you should have seen the Ngoh Hiang that I fried for NK's gathering! So embarrassing coz that was the first time that I fried so many in one go. A few got burnt and the rest were just passable! *lol*

Unknown said...

Hee, Eve, as long as they are delicious in taste, looks come second ;p

Fonia said...

Angie, I really like the buns you made!!! All of them look so nice and soft... so tempted to try! But really worry that my hands 'kneading Kong Fu' not enough leh. :(

Please advice... If I hand-knead the dough, how long do I need to knead and how judge that the dough it ready? TIA... *Muah X 2*

Unknown said...

Fonia, thanks :)

Hand-kneading - I find it a tough thing to do. Usually recipes would say 8-10 minutes, but it really depends. I've kneaded by hand for 20 mins and still not ready (my poor arms).
One way to judge - 'window-pane test'. Take a small piece of dough, pull it apart gently, if you see the dough stretching to form a thin layer(like a window-pane) without breaking immediately, it is ready. If it breaks apart instantly = more kneading.

Fonia said...

Okie... Noted! Will try out your sweet buns recipe. Thank you so much for the enlighterment!

Unknown said...

Fonia, no problem :) Do let us know how the buns turn out ya!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your Ngot Hiang looks delicious! Always love your bread, so pretty and soft looking. Yum!

Unknown said...

Thanks Ching! ;p