Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Before & After

I didn’t have the time to post this earlier. I made this for a gathering at my brother’s place last Saturday. It’s actually the Chocolate Pound Cake, which I’ve also made previously. This time round I made the full recipe to fit my 21cm tube pan. Made a ‘boo-boo’(mistake) this time, after I placed the pan into the oven and turn around to wash the dishes, I noticed a small cup of black liquid sitting on the countertop. I had FORGOTTEN to add in the coffee! But well, can’t be salvaged now, so I added in more hot water and made myself a nice cuppa : )

Before frosting, a Plain Jane
















Since I had to bring it for others to try, I had to ‘beautify’ the cake for presentation purpose. The glaze this time is much thicker, mainly because it has been refrigerated for half an hour and then whipped up. This enabled me to do a simple swirling effect on the top.

So here is the final product, the Chocolate Pound Cake after some ‘make-up’. Not terribly beautiful, but I think can pass. Sad to say, I’m not a great decorator of cakes.















Also had two small individual cakes for myself and hubby, can you see the little peaks on the frosting?













Tastewise, omitting the coffee in the cake didn’t change the taste drastically, as I increased the coffee content slightly in the glaze. Still so deep, dark and chocolatey.

6 comments:

Fonia said...

Wow... Your presentation is simply but vy nice loh. Wish I could do that too as I'm vy bad in cake decor. :(

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice nice! What a pretty cake.

Unknown said...

Thanks Fonia and Ching :)

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! Wish I could have some ...

J said...

You must have very very high standard to call this cake not terribly beautiful. Very creative!

Unknown said...

Ivonne, one slice for you? ;p

Jan, my standard not that high, just that I've seen other's cakes which are really beautifully decorated :)